Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for my pioneer heritage. I thought it was quite fitting because of the holiday. I have so many amazing and faithful ancestors and I wouldn't be here today without them. The one I think it especially cool is my great, great grandfather, Martin Hansen. He discovered the first cave of Mount Timpanogos. He was such an adventurous guy and was in the canyon hunting and found a small cave opening. Most would turn and go the other way, but he crawled in not knowing what the heck could have been in there. He then saw some amazing stuff and brought a couple of his buddies back the next day to explore further. He's in lots of Utah history books, and I'm just proud to be part of his family tree!

Who are your ancestors? I'd love to hear!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really cool and what's even better is that its documented!

jenn said...

How cool is that? We really are so blessed by our Pioneer heritage. Hope you had a great Pioneer Day!

Devri said...

That is cool, I have no famous ones, just really brave ones. Maka is blood lines down from the King of Tonga, my kids love it, becuase they love to be called a princess, and actually everytime some one says it, they tell the whole story how they really are a real princess..

Suzie said...

Love this!
I have 2 great-greats that ventured across the US to this great state with Brigham Young and the other pioneers that were here first.
It is a great legacy to have. One that I am grateful for, too!
Thanks for the reminder!

ok if I added you to my sidebar?

Amy said...

I love that you did the tribute to Pioneer Day... I always get choked up in church sing "Come Come Ye Saints" around this time of year. My boys laugh at me. I am also proud of my heritage...My people were "sent" to settle and fry in the So. Utah desert that you all love to visit...St. George. I am about the first one to ever leave...crazy!

Misty said...

This was a great post and I hope Grandma is reading it in heaven because she is probably telling the "real" story! I can see it now... Because when you go to the cave, they say that he was hunting mountain lions and Grandma says that he was chopping wood and heard something hollow in the mountains. I miss grandma's fiesty little attitude!

Cole said...

Hey, I just found you from Amy.

I have Swedish ancestors from my Grandpa's side who were with a group who took the church down to Mexico. I always thought it was special to have relatives who were truly pioneers!